(keitai-l) Re: In case you invested in 3G...

From: Tom Hume <tom_at_futureplatforms.com>
Date: 04/28/02
At 11:54 27/04/2002 -0400, Mark Frieser wrote:

>All well and good, but what do you propose that these services should be?

I don't know. But looking at the services which are popular on DoCoMo might
be a good start.

>And what is the compensation model to give a real incentive to the content
>provider?

This is vital, and missing - that's my point.

>Now, of course these content companies much of the time are far too slow in
>adopting new technology, but the truth is that much of the network and many
>of the devices aren't ready to deliver the content you're asking for, and
>you have to see their valid perspective for the whole picture.

The networks are, IMHO there. GPRS is an "always-on" network which is what
is needed (I-mode ran on 9.6kbps but always-on saves it). As for
reliability - well, it's impossible to say until you've got lots of folks
using it, but I know that DoCoMo have experienced reliability problems in
the past, and managed to cope. Devices are just about out now, and more are
out later this year.

The missing chunk is the willingness of operators to stimulate service
development by compensating content providers.

--
Future Platforms :: http://www.futureplatforms.com/
t +44 (0) 1273 699529 // m +44 (0) 7971 781422 // e tom@futureplatforms.com