(keitai-l) Re: GSM, PDC and proprietary systems

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 06/24/02
Ok, now I get what you are talking about...a little background
check in the manual "How to build i-mode in your home" revealed
that there is really no retry option in the main concept of
i-mode email:

> When the gateway server GWS receives the electronic mail, it
> stores this in the designated mailbox and sends a communication
> start notification signal to the packet processing module PS.
> This communication start notification signal includes information
> designating the destination address of the electronic mail. When
> the packet processing module PS receives this communication start
> notification signal, it calls the mobile station MS corresponding
> to the destination address included in the signal.
>
> When the user of the mobile station MS performs a specified
> operation on the mobile station MS in response to the call, the
> same sequence as the above described steps [...] is performed,
> and it enters a state of being capable of packet switching with
> the gateway server GWS. Next, the gateway server GWS sends a
> reception notification signal including the address information
> of the mailbox in which the electronic mail is stored to the
> packet processing module PS. Furthermore, the packet processing
> module PS sends the received reception notification signal to the
> mobile station MS.
>
> Upon receiving the above-described reception notification signal,
> the mobile station MS sends a connection request signal
> designating the address of the mailbox included in the reception
> notification signal to the packet processing module PS. This
> connection request signal is transferred through the packet
> processing module PS to the gateway server GWS. Upon receiving
> the connection request signal, the gateway server GWS sends a
> connection acnowledgement signal to the packet processing module
> PS. The packet processing module PS sends the received connection
> acnowledgement signal to the mobile station MS.
>
> Next, the gateway server GWS reads the electronic mail received
> from the IP server W from the mailbox whose address is designated
> in the connection request signal, and transfers the electronic
> mail to the packet processing module PS. Upon receiving the
> electronic mail, the packet processing module PS sends this mail
> to the mobile station MS which issued the connection request. The
> operations of the above steps are repeatedly performed in
> accordance with the amount of data in the electronic mail to be
> transmitted from the IP server W to the mobile station MS. When
> the mobile station MS has received the electronic mail in this
> way, a delivery notification is sent to the gateway server GWS
> and the push-type information transmission is completed.

No word of timeout or retry in the whole manual...but maybe
DoCoMo was aware of the concept "Merutomo" which are a species
of some busy typing bees keeping your handset genki and push
out the waiting messages for you.

If you don't have a Merutomo with your Keitai, you have a social
problem, not a technical one.

Juergen
--
Juergen Specht, CTO, Nooper.com - Mobile Services Inc., Tokyo, Japan
i-mode & FOMA consulting, development, testing: http://nooper.co.jp/