(keitai-l) Re: Instant Messaging and messaging interoperability on wireless webs in Japan

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 08/30/02
On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Jan Michael Hess wrote:

> I would like to draw your attention to the recent article I
> published on http://www.mobiliser.org/article?id=49 about
> how mobile Instant Messaging and Email will ultimately kill
> the killer apps SMS and MMS.

Well, it will happen when the telcos let it. Probably one day the
European Docomo folks are going to start charging packet rates for
e-mail (they currently inflate the cost of e-mail to protect SMS) and
that will be the end of SMS.

But it's not going to happen with Java apps. You can't keep the
app running all the time, and when it's not running, your messages
aren't "instant" any more, are they?

(Though I suppose you could send an SMS asking someone to log in....)

cjs