(keitai-l) Re: OT: cleaning keitai screens (was 2003G)

From: Ben Hutchings <ben_at_decadentplace.org.uk>
Date: 12/06/02
On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 11:02:52PM +0900, Nick May wrote:

> keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
<snip>
> >I have heard more information reguarding web services
>
> the purpose of web services is to defeat firewalls, nothing more. Firewall
> admins (anal retentive by profession) have to keep port 80 open,
> so web services/soap et al just ram everything through that.

Port 80 can be closed and use of a web proxy mandated.  The proxy can
block the MIME types used by SOAP etc.  This approach won't work for
HTTP-SSL, of course.

> It's a vast game of "let's pretend" on which a corporation mandates
> simultaneously a conservative access policy and a genealogically
> (darn - where is a spell checker when you need it) liberal - "spread
> 'em baby!" attitude to external, untrusted, clients.

I think you mean 'untrustworthy', not 'untrusted'.  But yes, that's
how I see the trend of running all services over HTTP.  (It is
possible to tunnel IP within HTTP and thus run an entire Internet
connection that way.  But it's not very efficient.)

> IP sluttery, in short. They call it "soap" so you think it's clean....

Heh.

--
Ben Hutchings  |  personal web site: http://womble.decadentplace.org.uk/
Life is like a sewer: