(keitai-l) Re: Is music download over 3G a possible business?

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 04/26/03
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>The problem I really see is: Are teenagers going to pay when you can
>find the last tune at decent quality (For teenagers consumption) on P2P.

Possibly. They belong to  "Generation Theft" (Music has ALWAYS been free,
in their experience).

But if there is an alternative at a reasonable price - and THEN the RIAA
chases a few of the more egregious pirates, I think that you might get
enough paying to make it a viable model.  I think the reason there has
been no clampdown so far is that there is no alternative pay system for
people to migrate to.

To get this email on-topic, it is interesting to look at what a keitai
based download system could offer that other systems can't. And I think
the answer must involve

1) People (even techno-idiots) are familiar with keitai, with the
interface etc and are not afraid of it as a piece of technology. THIS IS
IMPORTANT! My mother can barely turn the video on, never mind program
it....

2) It is what people carry with them. Never mind the "are people prepared
to carry a PDA and a keitai" - are people prepared to carry a media system
and a keitai? If you think that basically people will carry one thing
"EVERYWHERE" then there is a real battle to make sure your content can be
accessed on that one thing.

>Another thing we could ask ourself : Is the traditional music business
>model outdated?

The jury is out on that one. But it is also probably too wide a topic for
Keitai-l.....

Nick