(keitai-l) Re: 20th anniversary of Minitel

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 05/15/03
> Guys, I was just taking the piss (to use the British parlance).
> Please think nothing more of it... I just thought the correlation
> between women an= d L-Mode was unfair to the women :)

Seems you are better informed about the french market than the
Japanese one ;)

> Anyway, your point about the ad campaign for L-Mode is right, its
> pathetic. If you asked me, I'd say they should be playing off of it
> for strictly business purposes - as its tied to fax machines.

As Gerhard just pointed out: 150,000 paying subscribers. And it
was started sometimes in October/November 2000 with quite higher
expectations:

> The companies [NTT East/West] say that they hope to sign up
> 1.5 million to 2 million of their existing customers to the
> service [L-mode] in the first year of operation.

Since they have now 150,000 subscribers and hardware manufacturers
invested quite some money into the development of L-mode devices,
it's tough to shut it down and to admit a failure. So it's pushed
pretty much with the ads in TV lately....but I believe that at one
stage it will just disappear.

> Anyway, why use it when you have a keitai?

That's the reality which bypassed the expectations.

Juergen
--
Juergen Specht, CTO, Nooper.com - Mobile Services Inc., Tokyo, Japan
i-mode & FOMA consulting, development, testing:  http://nooper.co.jp