(keitai-l) Re: Ntt DoCoMo i-mode enters the italian market with Wind

From: Cedric NICOLAS <cedric.nicolas_at_helo.biz>
Date: 06/24/03
Just few points guys that I have to correct.

- it's not obvious that using i-mode technology lowers ROI for CP. An i-mode
content (either HTML or Java) is much more easily transposed to all i-mode
phones, because handsets specs are very strict. WAP/OMA compatibility
remains a nightmare. I won't detail here why, but if you want to target all
WAP phones today with your content, it's so costly that as a CP you'll
select the top selling 3 to 4 phones in your market to test your content.
Your content may work on other phones, but quality will be poor. Why do you
think Live! is running up to know on 4 phones only ?. We are delivering
i-mode and WAP offers to our customers, and we can compare. Time to setup a
good i-mode service is much much lower than on WAP...And curiously, the
average packet use on a i-mode site is much much higher than on the same WAP
site...You'd bet to ask you why...
- Other point : i-mode is using HTML (for i-mode), e-mail, HTTP, TCP, and
standard Midi, JPG, GIF file formats. All that are standard Internet
technologies (or subset of). Could you say that i-mode is less "standard"
than WAP which use "mobile only technologies" : WML, MMS, WSP/WTP, WBMP, and
other unpractical languages and protocols that are almost non-existent in
developers tools today ? WAP 2 will probably improve that, but WAP 2 phones
just begin to get into the market, and are far from being perfect (using
XHTML that almost anybody uses on the Web...). And a lot of EU carriers
don't want to upgrade their gateways for supporting new WAP 2 protocols,
before being proven by others that this will paid back by traffic.
- i-mode strength is not only on the technology, but in many other things.
But here I will break my confidentiality rules, if I go further than that...
sorry.

Regards,

Cedric NICOLAS

i-mode expertise manager