(keitai-l) Re: Bilingual Phones

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 06/24/03
On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Philip Sidel wrote:

> Sorry if someone's already answered this question, but I'm wondering which
> phones currently offered by DoCoMo, KDDI and J-Phone offer bilingual
> interfaces.

This information is in the catalogues of all three of those providers. The
quick summary:

    From memory: most of the Docomo phones are bilingual, definitely all
    503i and onward, and I think most or all 209i and onward. Docomo has
    been the best by far for bilingual support; they even have English
    telephone support. (Actually, I just checked the catalogue, and
    though it's hard to tell because they don't put it in the table of
    phones, all of the currently available 50x and 21x series phones
    appear to be bilingual.)

    From memory: very few AU phones are bilingual. I think only a couple
    of older Sonys (1000-series) and their "world-traveler" phone.

    From the 2003-06 catalogue: All J-phone phones except for the J-N51,
    J-SH52 and J-SH09 are bilingual.

> Is this something that handset manufacturers do on their own,
> or do the Operators mandate a certain percentage of their phones offer
> bilingual capabilities.

Looks like the former for AU, the latter for Docomo, and probably the
latter for J-Phone.

cjs