(keitai-l) Re: Forrester: WI-FI is going to crash

From: Debi Jones <djones_at_wireless-one.org>
Date: 06/24/03
Benedict,

Thanks for adding your perspective.

1)Wi-Fi is the term I used versus WLAN as Wi-Fi systems have greater
coverage capability than WLAN implies.  Again, let me refer you to Vivato's
website where the technology is explained which allows them to achieve
coverage of 9km.  They have developed a switch using their own technology
called "Packetsteering".  http://www.vivato.net .  Of course, they aren't
the only ones expanding the range of Wi-Fi.  I'm sure Goggle can provide
more examples for those interested.

2)You make an important distinction.  3G does increase capacity for voice
and that's a very good thing for the operators.  Wi-Fi is a much better
solution for data.  It has the same characteristics at ethernet minus the
cables, of course.  The increased bandwidth afforded along with addressing
backhaul issues via the use of mesh and or manets (mobile ad hoc networks)
the Wi-Fi story gets increasingly powerful.

3)I didn't provide any numbers at all for Wi-Fi coverage of UK.  I stated
that I hadn't yet performed that analysis.  If you're interested, I'll be
happy to include you in the distribution email when the research is
completed.

...Debi