(keitai-l) Mobile click stream analysis

From: Philip Sidel <psidel_at_iuj.ac.jp>
Date: 06/25/03
Another question that I need all of your help in answering.

I am trying to better understand usage patterns of the Mobile Internet,
both here in Japan and around the world.  I've got a couple of studies
currently going on, but one area that I've yet been able to tap into is
understanding or following the click stream of a small segment of mobile users.

As I understand it (or as it's been explained to me by a few mobile
technology experts), it's "very difficult" to write a piece of software
that will gather and track all websites that have been visited by an
individual user.  I'm looking to create a piece of software (or take
advantage of an existing technology) that will allow this information to be
gathered without the user needing to key in every website that they
visit.  Is it possible to create "invisible" tracking software like this
for a reasonable price?  (remember I'm in academia, so my idea of
reasonable may be what most of you consider dirt cheap)

My goal is to have 100 people on a paid panel who download this piece of
software onto their phones for a year, and have their surfing/usage
patterns tracked and analyzed "behind the scenes" so that our observations
of their mobile behaviors don't significantly change the way that they use
their keitai (understanding of course that they'll all have agreed in
advance to participate in such a study...so such a bias won't be completely
removed).... Any and all thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

--Philip