(keitai-l) SMS vs email?

From: Marcela Christina Musgrove Ch. <marcela_at_cc.gatech.edu>
Date: 07/29/03
Hi there. Thanks to everyone who sent me suggestions for my project. I'm
writing it up right now and had some lingering questions...

When I got here, I thought the whole "thumb tribe" media referred to SMS, but I
found out that SMS isn't available in Japan; it's actually emailing that people
are referring to. I was hoping someone could tell me why SMS isn't available in
Japan(just a simple standards difference?) and if you think there is (or have
seen any studies that show) a real difference between the SMS experience and
the emailing that I guess constitutes texting in Japan. (If I've got this
understanding wrong, please correct me!)
Thanks
Marcela