(keitai-l) Re: SMS vs email?

From: Stuart Woodward <stuart_at_gol.com>
Date: 07/30/03
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:29:12 -0400
"Marcela Christina Musgrove Ch." <marcela@cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

> When I got here, I thought the whole "thumb tribe" media referred to SMS, but I
> found out that SMS isn't available in Japan; it's actually emailing that people
> are referring to. I was hoping someone could tell me why SMS isn't available in
> Japan(just a simple standards difference?) and if you think there is (or have
> seen any studies that show) a real difference between the SMS experience and
> the emailing that I guess constitutes texting in Japan. (If I've got this
> understanding wrong, please correct me!)

SMS is available. e.g on Au it is called CMail but since when real email
was introduced it's usage almost disapeared over night. It's only usage
now is for messages from the telephone system e.g to tell you you have a
message waiting on the answer phone service.

A more interesting question, for me, is why is email not available in
Europe and else where?