(keitai-l) Re: keitai etiquette?

From: Paul Bryan Lester <pbl1_at_cornell.edu>
Date: 08/06/03
    Mostly everyone I know Japanese or foreigner talks with their keitai
on the train.... you just talk very quietly.  It happens all the time.  The reason
for its restriction on trains did not stem from the noise, it stemmed from
the danger than keitai's pose to people with pacemakers, because of Tokyo's
crowded subways, close contact is a reality.  And danger to people with pacemakers
is a fact.

    But people still use their keitai's on trains all the time.  The restriction
is to shut off the power to stop it from killing people with pacemakers if one
happens to be on your car and you are in close contact.... but instead I think
some people think it refers to talking so lots of people use mail or read the
news on their keitai's (or take pictures of funny neighbors snoring away).