(keitai-l) Re: Sharp GX20

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 08/01/03
Gioved=EC, 21 ago 2003, alle 10:53 Europe/Rome, Benedict Evans ha =
scritto:

> My view is that the 3650 and the 7650 ( or the 6600) aren't really
> consumer devices - they're for techies, gadget freaks and
> early-adopters.

Hi Benedict

Is this about the cost or complexity in using them?

I've given a 7650 to my girlfriend that is everything but a techie
and she was able to use it immediately. I see really more
a barrier given by size and costs more than features.

Nokia now is addressing the Business user with the 6600
and they are for sure not addressing only the techies:

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,33210,00.html

If take a look at the introduction to Nokia Series 40 and Series 60
the 40 is described as intended for smartphones with
"size constraints"  In the future with better technology
we could see Series 60 phones well in the size and target of
the 7210.

On the other hand...
P800 is definitely a techie oriented phone first of all because
is not one-hand operated. It is placed between Nokia
Communicator and a Series 60 phone. The T610 an T620
are more oriented to the consumer and they are placed between
Nokia Series 40 and Series 60 phones.

Nokia is well leading the software side with superior usability and
features while Japan is well leading on the hardware side
with very advanced screens and cameras (Not in Europe).
We will see...

Ciao

Giovanni

giovanni bertani   mobile vas consultant and analyst
exsense verona italy

> Whereas the GX20 or 7210 (no bluetooth, no outlook sync,
> no c++ applications etc.) are aimmed at the 'man in the street' - =
which
> is where the real money is. And while the 3650 and 7650 are good at=20
> what
> they do, the 7210 is best described as a piece of cr*p.
>
> I think there's a broader question here as to whether 'smartphones'
> (symbian or MS) will grab the market for all phones other than the
> bottom end of the market, or whether they'll only get the high-end,=20
> with
> most people happy with the 'japanese-style' closed platforms.
>
> -Benedict

Box