(keitai-l) Re: Archives and search

From: Kyle Barrow <kyle_at_pukupi.com>
Date: 09/10/03
On Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003, at 12:55 Japan, Jonas Petersson wrote:

> Or why don't we just go the classic way that I suggested earlier? That
> is, build the layout with a single good old <table>, a few bgcolor
> directives, possibly a couple of <font size=3D-1> at the top of each
>
> (about 4 of them should be enough) and then drop the CSS (or just use
> it
> for fine tuning). Sure, it may look a bit different in different
> browsers (as it obviously does already!), but that way it should be
> readable by everyone!
>
> 				/ Jonas

You are suggesting moving a page that:

1. Is almost standards compliant (needs to sort out the head elements
and some unclosed tags, etc. and it's there).
2. Separates content from layout.
3. Is relatively screen-reader friendly (add a hidden "skip navigation"
div at the top of the page linking to "middle" would make it better)
4. Users CSS em font sizes so even poor unfortunates using Windows IE
can easily resize fonts if they find themselves squinting too much.
5. Will flow to fit any screen.

to a page that:

1. Uses font tags. Font tag size differ greatly between browsers and
platforms.
2. Is not screen-reader friendly (they have a hard time when tables are
not used to display tabular data).
3. Uses font tags!
4. Uses tables!

Mika, please don't!