(keitai-l) Re: Netfront 3.x

From: Jonas Petersson <zap_at_xms.se>
Date: 10/04/03
Mika Tuupola wrote:
>         I have been playing with Netfront 3.01 for Series 60 this
>         morning. I wonder if this is essentially the same browser
>         as which is used in i-mode handsets? If not how does
>         it differ?

I'm somewhat out of touch, but when I evaluated NetFront about 3 years
ago I believe that was the case. At the time they seemed pretty
agressive to run it on many platforms (I tried the Linux version).

>         Initial impression is quite positive. Netfront is much
>         lighter than opera. Opera which is much bigger hogs almost all
>         memory of my 3650 phone. Netfront does not handle pages _not_
>         designed for mobile screen as well as Opera, but you should
>         have separate pages for mobiles anyway.

I have to agree - I found it quite impressive for it's size at the time.
It did have a few issues with ISO8859-1 characters (sometimes highbit
stripped, sometimes way wrong, sometimes with a space prefixed) and
nontrivial javascript, but considering that most other tiny browsers
didn't (and still don't) support javascript it's still rather good - and
presumably it has improved.

>         Biggest downside on Netfront is that it does not seem
>         to support Accept-Encoding header / sending content
>         gzipped.

Right. Have they fixed the HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" meta tag?

			/ Jonas
--
Jonas Petersson  |  XMS Penvision  |  mailto:Jonas.Petersson@xms.se
Box 3294, Västgötegatan 13, S-600 03 Norrköping | http://www.xms.se/