(keitai-l) Re: Hello everyone!

From: Michael Sydenham <michaelsydenham_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10/12/03
Hi Fabio

>1) Are Japanese phones J2ME-locked or not ? I mean, could an amateur coder
>code his own midlet ?

The answer is basically yes, but you will have to do some investigation.
"Yes" has 2 parts,
* tools - the tools are publically available from the various carrier's
sites.
* getting the appli onto your phone - generally if you are living in Japan
you can download the appli to your phone without much problem - DoCoMo/KDDI
is arguably easiest, unofficial Vodafone developers should work through a
3rd party aggregation system like spicy vector.

Search this mailing list for more details - this issue has come up many
times before.

>2) I have quite a bit of Japanese friends. In their mail (in English) there
>are often very strange characters... I suppose those should be some sort of
>e-moticons. Is that so and if so, is it possible to view them correctly on
>Western computers ?

It may be just Japanese characters that are not visible properly. On Windows
or Mac, you can install a language pack or turn on Japanese regional setting
& in turn it will ask you to install appropriate fonts.

>Sorry for my probably stupid questions, but that's my first post, after all
>;)

Welcome, and good luck with your studies.

Regards

Michael.