(keitai-l) Re: Vodafone, DoCoMo will not launch 3G 'until it works'

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 10/20/03
I agree with Jeff. What I usually tell people in this context
is that the first few versions of Microsoft-Windows were
also not very successful, and less comfortable than Macintosh...

Actually, 3G take-up in Japan is much faster than many other
new technologies I think, Jeff probably has data on this, and
DoCoMo I think publishes data on this issue.

Gerhard

Jeffrey L. Funk wrote:
>> Many people seem to have forgotten that 2G (GSM) services took a long
>> time to succeed. Phones were almost impossible to get in the first
>> year of the services. GSM services initially saw growth in markets
>> that did not have successful analog services like germany and france
>> while growth was slower in scandinavia and britain. and vodafone was
>> very slow with GSM since the two "new" operators in england (then
>> called one-to one and orange) did not have analog networks and thus
>> had to push GSM while vodafone was doing well with analog. 3G shows
>> the same problems with a lack of phones and coverage. I wouldn't get
>> too excited about 3G's problems or with KDDI's early lead in Japan.  ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
                                        http://www.eurotechnology.com/
Find us in "IBM developerWorks" and in "Chemical & Engineering News":
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-elite8.html
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/topstory/8049/8049bus1.html