(keitai-l) Re: DoCoMo's reduced Symbian version on Fujitsu handsets ... open Nokia vision vs. controlled DoCoMo/Vodafone vision

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 10/20/03
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, Jan Michael Hess wrote:

> So here are some scenarios of how this mobile meta-competition
> of the open vs. closed mobile device (actually becoming a small
> online computer) may evolve in the (not too distant) future...
> People just want to have control THEMSELVES over the mobile online
> computing devices...

Well, I think what is critical for most people is not control over the
applications, but control over the data. I personally don't care so much
if I can't move a Java applet to an SD card; for me the great thing
about the 505 series was being able to move my phone book to the SD
card.

Of course, what I really want is an i-Appli that will let me sync my
phone's address book, calendar and to-do list with an on-line version
that I could edit from my computer, and of course I want the ability to
pull down the data from that on-line version and move it (and use it)
elsewhere. Given that, I'm quite happy using proprietary applications on
some platforms.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org