(keitai-l) Re: AW: port of i-mode to other cultures

From: wbc <wbc_at_tkk.att.ne.jp>
Date: 11/04/03
Hi Steve, I don't know exactly why I have/had that impression. First of
all, there has got to be less browsing because the amount of information
available in Japanese must be far less than that of English, as English
is somewhat of a universal language. Of course some Japanese will read
English pages but I suppose it is rather limited. Generally, when I ask
people if they use their phones for looking at the web, I get about 20%
at most who say they do. Most people tell me they never do or just to
check the movies or trains. That however is a completely subjective and
non scientific study. On the other-hand I would like to find some study
of how many hours people spend on the web via their PCs and also how
many packets of non personal email are transferred over the web to
keitais in Japan and see how that compares to the US and Europe. It
would be interesting to see that for both now and at start of i-mode.
Jeff Funk says that in May 2001 alone the packet/air time charges on the
mobile Internet was 700 million dollars but I don't know how to break
that figure down nor how to compare that with content available in
English. Need to do a lot more research.
Bill