(keitai-l) Re: AW: port of i-mode to other cultures

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 11/04/03
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, wbc wrote:

> Hi Steve, I don't know exactly why I have/had that impression. First of
> all, there has got to be less browsing because the amount of information
> available in Japanese must be far less than that of English, as English
> is somewhat of a universal language.

Sure. But there's no lack of content in Japanese. There's far, far more
than you could ever hope to read. It's sort of like nuclear weapons
during the cold war: sure, the USSR could destroy the earth only forty
times over whilst the US could destroy the earh three hundred times
over. That certainly didn't mean that the USSR didn't have enough
weapons.

> Of course some Japanese will read English pages but I suppose it is
> rather limited. Generally, when I ask people if they use their phones
> for looking at the web, I get about 20% at most who say they do.

Well, it shouldn't be that big a surprise that a smaller proportion of
phone owners than computer owners use the web. Nobody buys a computer to
make phone calls, so there's a large segment of phone users out there
that don't exist in the computer-purchasing population.

I've never asked about web browsing habits, but I think it's indicative
that, out of many hundreds of people whose keitai number I've been
given, I know only one who does not use keitai e-mail regularly, and
he's a gaijin who has trouble reading the menus and manuals.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org