(keitai-l) Re: Ultra-Handy Smart-Chip Phone

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 12/17/03
> Related, can anybody comment on whatever happened to the 'buy a Coke with your
> keitai' (m-commerce) thing that was buzzing about a couple yars ago?  I think
> it worked via IR, or maybe you dialed a number on the vending machine's screen
> for it to dispense and bill your phone.

That's Cmode. Cmode is growing slowly and steadily, and there
are now more than 1000 machines in Japan. You can find a
picture and some info here:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/imode/faq-cmode.html

Cmode does not work but dialing a number on the vending machine.

The way it works is that you get a 2D barcode "coupon" on the
Cmode-site on imode. Also you don't bill your phone but a
separate club account. We have detailed pictures and graphics
about how that works here:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/store/cmode

Actually, we got requests regarding Cmode from Europe and US,
so there seems to be interest in EU and US to maybe introduce
Cmode.

Another point is, that they don't just sell Coke through the
machines but also ringing tones and content. So it's more than
selling Cokes.

Gerhard

Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
fasol_at_eurotechnology.com               http://www.eurotechnology.com/
Find us in "IBM developerWorks" and in "Chemical & Engineering News":
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-elite8.html
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/topstory/8049/8049bus1.html