(keitai-l) Re: keitais killing digital consumer cameras (Ore more) softly

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 12/22/03
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Tom Hume wrote:

> Basically: cameraphone quality might matter to people like us, but in
> the long-term most photos taken on phones will only be viewed on other
> handsets....

Well, I'd say that the keitai manufacturers disagree with you. Otherwise
why would they be putting in cameras with resolution fifteen (or, now,
thirty) times that the screen can display? The only way to get the
images off is by using the memory card; you cannot send them to another
phone, or send them by e-mail at all. These are not, to my mind, the
characteristics of images one transferres from phone-to-phone.

I see no reason people wouldn't abandon their digital cameras once
keitai cameras come up to them in quality. I certainly would, if I had
the same image quality as my digital camera and a flash.

Also, I'd like to point out that the 505i series photos (at least,
those from my F505i) are noticably inferior to photos take with a $300
digitial camera *when viewed on a 505i handset*. (One of my first
experiments was to take a picture from my digital camera, put it on my
phone's SD card, and view it on my phone. Everybody I've showed it to
notices a huge difference.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org