(keitai-l) Re: A sounding of a few questions on the market...

From: Mark Frieser <mark_at_consect.com>
Date: 04/24/04
Hi Everyone,
We're pulling together some soundings on the global mobile music market
(which I will share with the group) and I wanted to poll my fellow
keitai list members to see what your thoughts may be on certain aspects
where there are no hard and fast rules available.

Specifically, what do you think of the following?

1. Piracy:

What percentage of all ringtones downloaded are pirated?  We're
estimating 20-25%.

What do you think?  Do you think its going to rise in the next few
years? I would say yes, and that as handsets become more simply
connected to PCs it would likely go up to 50% by 2006.

Do you think that images, digital music and other mobile music will be
pirated in the future in large numbers?  We think that this will likely
track online and be able 50% in the next three years.

And how do you think this is playing out/will play out by region -
Japan/Korea/China, EU, North America?  I think there's going to be a
wild difference between the three, with the EU most likely having the
lowest rates and China the highest.

2. Content Owners:

I know that this fluctuates wildly by region, but how do you see
content owners in the music space moving beyond merely licensing their
content and actually creating it for mobile? In the EU and Asian
content owners bare intimately involved in the development and
deployment of content, in which most large content holders have mobile
divisions, while in the US and Canada, at best only 15% (Sony, Disney)
have are actively developing their own content.  What do you think is
the right approach? Should they, like Universal Mobile, internalize the
process?  Should they farm out all services to others?  Or should they
have a mixed approach to assure the widest possible distribution?

3. Technology, Carriers, Handset Companies:

Obviously, all of these types of companies are making some efforts to
get into the content game directly.  What do you think of the efforts
of companies like Nokia that are not typically content developers
getting into the content game?  Do you think it makes sense for their
consumers and the market?  Do you think that a carrier should be a pipe
or more like a cable network that owns the means of production and
delivery?

Which companies in this space do you think are most active?  And, what
advantages do you think they have in the marketplace?

We are sampling a cross-section of mobile professionals and we'll post
the results of the survey here within one week.  I look forward to any
thoughts you may have on these questions and thank you for your
opinions and assistance.

Best,

Mark Frieser
Consect
101 East 15th Street
NY, NY 10017
+1 646 495 4900

Join over 300 high-level wireless and content executives at the
BMI/Consect Global Wireless Summit Los Angeles at the Wyndham Bel Age
Hotel.

For more information on the event and registration, please go to
http://www.globalwirelesssummit.com/la