(keitai-l) Re: A sounding of a few questions on the market...

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 04/27/04
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Mark Frieser wrote:

> What percentage of all ringtones downloaded are pirated?  We're
> estimating 20-25%.

How does the stuff get pirated? With Japanese phones, at least, it
seems to be basically impossible. In fact, the vendors are even
double-dipping; every time I buy a new phone I lose all my ringtones and
have to buy new ones.

> Do you think that images, digital music and other mobile music will be
> pirated in the future in large numbers?

I think a lot of it depends on whether the on-line content vendors get
themselves together with pricing. I'm not holding out a lot of hope for
the music side, especially in Japan, where Japanese CDs are still 3000
yen. (It's considerably cheaper to buy import CDs than domestic ones
here.) But other content vendors here, such as foreign movie studios,
seem to be getting clue in a big way. There are a substantical number
of DVDs priced at 1500 yen here (half the price of a domestic CD!), and
the majority of DVDs are 3000 yen or less. For me, at any rate, DVDs are
cheap enough that it's not worth time and loss in quality to download
them from the net.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs_at_cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org