(keitai-l) MMS

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 05/13/04
I don't understand what you mean, dc.
SMS and MMS are essentially brand names like Coca-Cola.

Both on PDC and FOMA you can send emails with attachments,
on FOMA people can send emails with a lot of attachements
and big pictures. For all practical purposes that's doing
the same thing as MMS. So why do you say that MMS is kept
out of Japan by DoCoMo? I don't understand.

Are emails from FOMA phones with lots of attachments
not "rich messaging"? What else?

Maybe I am slow, but I don't understand what you are
saying here.

Gerhard

dc wrote:
>>  I personally think that the takeup of MMS in Japan IS strongly
>>  culturally influenced and is unlikely to be copied in other countries.
> but MMS looks like a non-starter over here, since docomo has gone with
> html ("deco") mail ... messaging systems are very prone to network effects.
> Natsuno-san also said he does not like MMS as it is a "sender pays"
> mechanism... (like voice calls I guess, but not like email - on email
> both the sender and receiver pay. tho i recall it is cheaper for
> receiving packets than sending them)
>
> So it looks like operator pride will keep rich messaging out of japan
> for a few years...
>
> /dc
Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
fasol_at_eurotechnology.com               http://www.eurotechnology.com/
Find us in "IBM developerWorks" and in "Chemical & Engineering News":
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-elite8.html
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/topstory/8049/8049bus1.html