(keitai-l) Re: MMS and others

From: Ken Chang <carigate_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 05/13/04
(1)
as we know FOMA is ill designed with no multimedia service in mind
when they planned it.  I don't think it's appropriate in the first
place to discuss FOMA-whatever vs MMS.  they don't have a clue.

decomail is good but the usage is very limited by the FOMA network.

probably that's one of the reasons Vodafone Japan is confident to
compete with DoCoMo from 2G (I'd like to talk it later).

(2)
also, I don't think Mr. Natsuno who says "Internet, not telecom"
knows what he is talking about.  that's only one way of doing,
though indeed huge success they once achieved several years ago.

the phrase assumes that fixed network will continue to dominate
the wireless network, which we'll see being reversed.

so "wireless, not wired" (isn't DoCoMo itself the #1 ISP in Japan?)

(3)
I agree with Nick that you have to trade off something for a very
slick camera you can carry where you go; and the optical lens isn't
something specified in the Moore's law.

(4)
i-mode was dead before it was born.

I mean that everything behind i-mode's success DoCoMo already had
back in 1998, and I see no significant progress since.

former DoCoMo president Mr. Koji Ohboshi is the guy, and he planned
i-mode when DoCoMo was growing fast with coverage and voice service.
Mr. Keiiti Enoki and Mr. Natsuno also did great job before 1999.

the current president Mr. Keiji Tachikawa was only lucky to take
over the post right before the service launch.

there has been a wrangle between the president in the waiting,
Mr. Shiro Tsuda, and the parent NTT's management who don't like him.
though I don't think it's fare to blame all the FOMA failures to
one person, I do think DoCoMo needs fresh air.