(keitai-l) Re: FeliCa

From: L. Cosh-Ishii, Wireless Watch Japan <lcosh-ishii_at_wirelesswatchjapan.com>
Date: 06/25/04
My understanding was that "bitWallet is a joint venture between Sony, Sony
Financing, NTT DoCoMo, Tokyo Mitsubishi Bank, Toyota Motors, KDDI, and 24
other companies. The firm produces the Edy contactless card-based e-money
system, which in turn uses Sony's proprietary "Felica" smartcard
radio-sensing technology. Felica has been deployed in Edy e-money cards,
Japan Rail's "Suica" cards used for entering trains, and several other
applications.." which also includes the Octopus train card in Hong Kong.
Isn't the contactless IC card technology is their IP and they license the
platform to clients who then integrate with custom parameters which suit
their own purpose..?!?

I just noted that http://www.bitwallet.co.jp now auto forwards to
http://www.edy.jp/

Wireless Watch Japan also has these related video interviews below from the
IC-Card show in Mar. 2003, and from Feb. this year with Shusaku Muruko,
Senior Manager of Sony's Mobile FeliCa Business Division. (thats what it
says on his meishi)

bitWallet: Sony & DoCoMo Make Mobile Money
http://www.wirelesswatch.jp/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=200

FeliCa: Trashing the Leather Wallet
http://www.wirelesswatch.jp/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=601

best regards,