(keitai-l) Re: FOMA(/UMTS)/GSM dual-mode handset N900iG

From: Noriyasu <noriyasu_at_web.de>
Date: 07/16/04
Quoting Kyle Barrow <kyle@pukupi.com>:

> On 2004 Jul 16, , at 11:25, Claus Hoefele wrote:
>
> > Sorry but I don't think this is correct, not all FOMA mobiles are
> > UMTS. Both UMTS and FOMA are based on W-CDMA but are not compatible
> > with each other. You might be able to use a FOMA USIM card in a UMTS
> > phone (haven't tried) but UMTS phones can't connect to the FOMA
> > network. Vodafone Japan on the other hand operates a UMTS compatible
> > network.
>
> Isn't W-CDMA a part of UMTS?
> (http://www.umts-forum.org/servlet/dycon/ztumts/umts/Live/en/umts/
> What+is+UMTS_index)

It's more UMTS is a part of W-CDMA.

I thought it is impossible to use UMTS phones on Foma network. So it is very
interesting 7600 is actually working.

Anyway DoCoMo plans to make their Foma-network compatible to UMTS, but Foma
still is not compatible to UMTS. That's why DoCoMo is building up some Foma
network in Athen just for the olympics so japanese can use their Foma mobiles
while being in Athen.

Noriyasu