(keitai-l) Re: FOMA(/UMTS)/GSM dual-mode handset N900iG

From: Benedict Evans <ben_at_ben-evans.com>
Date: 07/16/04
FOMA is indeed UMTS (of which W-CDMA is a part), but it uses an ealier
revision of the spec. than that deployed by carriers in the rest of the
world (and by Vodafone in Japan). As far as I remember the differences are
mainly to do with the way the network handles handover (but I might be
completely wrong here). So your Nokia might not work 100% with a FOMA SIM
- it might just look like it's working... until you move around, or try to
do video calling or something.

You could find out for certain by finding out what revision DoCoMo used,
going to www.3gpp.org, reading all the documents for the two revisions and
working out the effect of the differences ;-)

-Benedict Evans