(keitai-l) Re: lust

From: <Martyn_Williams_at_idg.com>
Date: 11/30/04
> It is not CURRENTLY possible to buy a phone in Japan that has decent
> PDA functionality and can sync with a Mac. AFAIK.
>
> Anyone care to guess whether it ever will be - in Japan?
>
> Nick

Nick,

I think we're beginning to see the chances of this. Nokia is now selling a
couple of models of 3G handset in Bic Camera under its own brand name - not
the Vodafone versions. The switch to SIM-based phones is going to enable
companies to do this, or enable users to order the handsets they want from
overseas and use them in Japan. Of course, because so many of the bells and
whistles are tied to proprietary operator services, you might find that the
handset works fine for voice and the PDA function syncs perfectly ... but
you can't access I-mode or download a ringtone because it lacks the
proprietary support.

Still, for users who really want certain features above others, I think it
will soon (within the next couple of years) be possible.

Martyn