(keitai-l) Re: Vappli

From: Jon Ellis <Jon.Ellis_at_Sun.COM>
Date: 02/07/05
Claus Hoefele wrote:
> For outside Japan, Vodafone uses VSCL (Vodafone specific class
> library) which is based on JSCL (J-phone). Vappli is basically a brand
> name as Vodafone uses MIDP as a programming model and VSCL/JSCL are
> additional APIs that extend the platfom with Vodafone specific
> features.

The only distinction that i'm aware of between handsets VFX
3GC for the japanese market and those for the global market,
is a requirement that japanese handsets contain the JSCL
APIs. This is for legacy applications (not an issue outside
japan...)

> Japan: CDLC 1.0 + MIDP 1.0 + JSCL
> Outside Japan: CLDC 1.1 + MIDP 2.0 + additional JCP APIs + VSCL

For the current 3GC handsets this is actually:

Japan: JTWI + JSR-184 + VSCL + JSCL
Global: JTWI + JSR-184 + VSCL

> VSCL and JSCL have many classes in common (using different package
> names). Because of the differences however, I think the platform is
> not as similar in and outside Japan as i-mode.

VSCL is only a small subject of JSCL. Specifically, VSCL
contains only the functionality that was in JSCL and is not
covered by the JCP standards.

j.