(keitai-l) Re: softbank spectrum failure

From: nick may <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 02/14/05
As a potential buyer, by far the more pressing problem is the poor
coverage that some claim for the Voda 3G network. Perhaps this is "just
a matter of perception" - whatever - buyers are put off. Voda are not
doing the BASICS right - voice is the killer app, not perhaps in total
packets, but in the sense that if a phone does not have guaranteed
voice it is just a pda/games machine.

Snazzy handsets won't solve that problem - which is why I am a touch
sceptical that handsets are their REAL problem.

With regards to their handsets being perceived as "old" - it depends
what you want from a handset. (I am considering jumping to them BECAUSE
of their handsets.) The latest from DOCOMO and AU do all kinds of
things many users don't care about.

Apple's success with the shuffle suggests that getting the right mix of
features with the right design at the right price will bring in buyers.
Shuffles do the basics very, very well (I gather). It isn't just
marketing voodoo.

Voda have to get the coverage issue sorted out and nailed down flat.

It is remarkable how few companies in trouble seem to be doing the
basics well.

Nick