(keitai-l) Re: New Topic: Response to VF Bashing (was RE: Re: VFX (was Re: Vappli))

From: Arnold P. Siboro <asiboro_at_maltech.ne.jp>
Date: 02/21/05
Yes you are right, that's the only difference, but glaring anyway.

I thought without integration with cellular feature, it would be hard to
become popular, since almost everyone in Japan already has at least one
handset, adding one more just for WiFi is troublesome. That's the reason
I tought it's quite different..

Regarding Skype-enabled handset, Motorola did not give any details, but
if it really supports Skype over GPRS (or W-CDMA, or CDMA2000 x1 etc)
instead of just over WiFi, than it's something that N900iL does not have.
This feature would be great, since the reality is there is still a lot
more cellular signals than WiFi signals out there.

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:16:11 +0900 (JST)
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005, Arnold P. Siboro wrote:
>
> > This N900iL is quite different from the one in the URL you gave. The one
> > in the URL is just a mobile WiFi terminal, without traditional cellular
> > (3G etc) capability. There has been many such WiFi terminals
> > (non-cellular), including Cisco 7920 which was released back in 2003.
>
> I don't see how it's "quite different." The one really glaring
> difference is that the N900iL is also a cellular handset, but Yahoo
> can't go around selling those at the moment, can they? (The point being,
> someone other than Docomo could sell a wireless handset usable anywhere
> there's WiFi.)
>
> > Unlike Skype, N900iL seems to connect to any SIP server.
>
> Really? My understanding was that it could only connect to Docomo's
> SIP servers, and you had either to buy a SIP server from Docomo or use
> Docomo's SIP servers in a sort of Centrex-like arrangement. (I've heard
> conflicting reports on this.)
>
> At any rate, you certainly don't seem to be able to buy the N900iL in shops.
>
> cjs

Arnold P. Siboro (asiboro@maltech.ne.jp)

                                 --Albert Einstein.