(keitai-l) Re: New Topic: Response to VF Bashing (was RE: Re: VFX (was Re: Vappli))

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 02/21/05
On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Arnold P. Siboro wrote:

> I thought without integration with cellular feature, it would be hard to
> become popular, since almost everyone in Japan already has at least one
> handset, adding one more just for WiFi is troublesome.

But at the same time, you remove another handset: your wired one at
home. You could use it just like a normal cordless phone, but with the
added advantage that you could, say, take it to your office, and in some
cases your local coffee shop.

I don't think something like this would be a huge, stunning run-away
success, but it certainly be dirt cheap for someone like Yahoo to
deploy, and would put some fairly serious pricing pressure onto the
cellular carriers.

> Regarding Skype-enabled handset, Motorola did not give any details, but
> if it really supports Skype over GPRS (or W-CDMA, or CDMA2000 x1 etc)
> instead of just over WiFi, than it's something that N900iL does not have.
> This feature would be great, since the reality is there is still a lot
> more cellular signals than WiFi signals out there.

Sure, but you've got cellular in the handset anyway, and it's probably
about as cheap as using VoIP over cellular packet data anyway, unless
you've got an unlimited packet plan. (And boy, if VoIP over cellular
packet services became popular, unlimited packet plans would disappear
pretty darn quickly.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***        http://www.keitai-dev.net/wiki/         ***