(keitai-l) Re: Brew vs. Java

From: William Volk <bvolk_at_bonusmobile.com>
Date: 02/24/05
One more thing to consider.

There's NO SMS-Push of BREW apps for good reasons.  Unlike J2ME, Brew apps
don't run in a 'sandbox', so it's possible to easily create destructive
applications.

Therefore Brew apps but be approved and certified before distribution.

Having J2ME above Brew would allow for 'sandbox' apps to be directly
distributed to end users.

William Volk
CEO, Bonus Mobile Entertainment
858 692 1124

> From: Mathieu Castelli <mathieu@newtgames.com>
> Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:29:12 +0100
> To: <keitai-l@appelsiini.net>
> Subject: (keitai-l) Re: Brew vs. Java
>

>> Isn't Java and BREW two different standards in programming? Why would
>> anyone want to run Java on top of BREW while you can either program in
>> either both environments? Maybe I'm wrong but I just feel its overkill.
>> Maybe someone can enlighten me on this.
>>

> Because redeveloping your app/game interface is a lot of hassle.
> Especially if you don't need the last CPU cycle and memory space of the
> device and would happily trade those unused resources for the relief of
> not having to spend & manage another code branch for your project. Add
> to that the fact that C/C++ talents may not be among your existing team,
> and I think you have a strong case for hoping BREW ever supports Java.

[ excessive quoting removed by moderator ]