(keitai-l) Re: Brew vs. Java

From: Joe Bowbeer <joe.bowbeer_at_gmail.com>
Date: 02/24/05
Sam Joseph <gaijin@yha.att.ne.jp> wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with running Java on
> top of Brew?

Also, see this on QVM if you haven't already:

http://www.cdmatech.com/solutions/products/qvm.jsp

---
Designed specifically for mobile devices, QUALCOMM's QVM platform
allows select QUALCOMM chipsets to run Java applications.

QVM is a JVM platform fully integrated on the Mobile Station Modem
(MSM) along with the QUALCOMM BREW platform.

The QVM solution also offers critical over-the-air (OTA) upgrades
using the BREW Download Server (BDS). This provides operators and
manufacturers with powerful technology management capabilities that
can overcome device problems and ensure seamless access to the latest
QVM technology in existing devices.

QVM software uses ARM Jazelle (ARM926EJ-S) technology for Java
platform acceleration, which permits increased application execution
speed over comparable JVMs in the market.
---

I too am curious to hear if anyone has encountered such a beast in the
real world.  According to Qualcomm's datasheet, the QVM is "supported"
on a large number of chipsets starting with the 6100.

Joe.