(keitai-l) Re: 3G users - figures needed

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 03/01/05
Erik:

The latest figures for Japan are:

DoCoMo wCDMA:          10 million as of 21 Feb 2005
Vodafone-Japan wCDMA:  527,300    as of 31 Jan 2005
KDDI/AU                17,115,000 as of 31 Jan 2005
Japan 3G Total         27.6 million as of Jan/Feb 2005

DoCoMo crossed the 10 million 3G subscriber limit on
21 Feb 2005, and announced it on 22 Feb. They had a
special campaign on to celebrate the 10 million mark.

I had several discussions with the Asia Editor, and
the technology editors in Japan an Hong Kong of
BusinessWeek, and I know they are well informed. As
you see their figure is correct.

Nokia (and some other European companies) tend to forget
about Japan ....
Nokia's number is probably the world minus Japan.
For European telco industry companies its more comfortable
to look at the world without Japan, that feels better...
The Korean numbers I don't have in my head, but they
should be easy to find out.

By the way our company has a 3G-FAQ which contains this
information and also a report:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/3G/
http://www.eurotechnology.com/store/3G/
which contains very detailed statistics, ARPU split for
different systems, comparisons between the carriers etc.

Gerhard

 >Erik_Hörnfeldt wrote:
>
> I have a number of different figures for 3G usage and the numbers
> don't add upp.
>
> Business Week said 27 million in Japan some weeks back.
> I have a Nokia presentations that says 16 million worldwide (early
> 2005).
> What are the real figure for the World, for Japan, for Korea?
>
> Erik H
Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
fasol_at_eurotechnology.com               http://www.eurotechnology.com/