(keitai-l) Re: Handheld devices classification and browser compatibility (PDA, PPC, Smartphones, etc.)

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 03/01/05
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Nicolas Combelles wrote:

> 2) My target : Connected-colour-handheld-html-devices
> -> Which handset category should I target ? And how to name this category
> when communicating about it ?
> -> Which client-side language should I choose (for the same reason) ? I
> think xHTML MP + wCSS would be the best choice.

I think a lot of it really depends on your application. For some
applications, more fancy stuff is not a better user interface, it's just
chrome. For others, it can make or break the application.

I'm not sure what "MP" is above, but XHTML Basic has extremely broad
compatability as far as I can tell. I use only that for all the major
carriers in Japan, changing only the emoji. Europe seems to be moving
that way, too. I personally find that WML/WAP/whatever is not worth the
pain and expense.

However, I don't think that the smaller browsers support CSS.
Javascript, at least in Japan, is right out. A limited version of Flash
is available on some newer Docomo phones, but it doesn't seem good for
much beyond chrome--in other words, I've never seen a Flash application
on a docomo phone that couldn't be done pretty much as well in XHTML.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***        http://www.keitai-dev.net/wiki/         ***