(keitai-l) Re: Auto-Login for Vodafone Phones

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 10/12/05
On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Kyle Barrow wrote:

> Is the terminal ID good enough? It is included in the user agent:
> http://developers.vodafone.jp/dp/tool_dl/web/useragent.php

That's perfect! However, it's only available in some user agents; it
appears to depend on the age of the phone, among other things. I did a
little study; the results are here:

     http://www.keitai-dev.net/keitai-wiki?VodafoneUserAgents

BTW, my favourite user-agent was:

     UP.Browser/DoCoMo/J-PHONE/KDDI

Presumably this is a robot intending to make simple sites think it's a phone,
and confuse the heck out of more sophisticated sites.

BTW, while convenient for web site operators, it's a bit scary that
Vodafone is giving a common handset identifier to every web site you
access from your phone. The potential for some nasty information sharing
between sites in enormous. I would certainly make me think twice about
using them.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***           http://www.keitai-dev.net/           ***