(keitai-l) Re: Auto-Login for Vodafone Phones

From: Kyle Barrow <kyle_at_pukupi.com>
Date: 10/12/05
On Oct 12, 2005, at 10:16, Curt Sampson wrote:

>> Is the terminal ID good enough? It is included in the user agent:
>> http://developers.vodafone.jp/dp/tool_dl/web/useragent.php
>>

> That's perfect! However, it's only available in some user agents; it
> appears to depend on the age of the phone, among other things. I did a
> little study; the results are here:
>
>      http://www.keitai-dev.net/keitai-wiki?VodafoneUserAgents

Way back when Vodafone was J-phone, you would often get no user-agent
header making detecting these buggers a little tricky ;)

I'm surprised half of your Vodafone visitors have no serial number
but I believe this is user settable. Can anyone confirm this as I
haven't got an off-the-shelf Vodafone mobile handy today?

Although this isn't much help with old mobiles, most Openwave mobiles
these days handle cookies.

> BTW, while convenient for web site operators, it's a bit scary that
> Vodafone is giving a common handset identifier to every web site you
> access from your phone. The potential for some nasty information
> sharing
> between sites in enormous. I would certainly make me think twice about
> using them.

Also check your HTTP headers for x-phone-uid or HTTP_X_UP_SUBNO which
are respective Vodafone and Openwave unique IDs. More on Vodafone
headers can be found in http://developers.vodafone.jp/dp/tool_dl/
download.php?docid=119 (pdf)

Kyle

--

mobile web gear | pukupi.com | 34°40'n 135°30'e