(keitai-l) Re: japan device capabilities

From: Andrea Trasatti <atrasatti_at_gmail.com>
Date: 11/02/05
On 11/2/05, Kyle Barrow <kyle@pukupi.com> wrote:

> On Oct 26, 2005, at 17:19, Andrea Trasatti wrote:
>
> > The WURFL already supports a system called "WURFL patch" that lets you
> > take the main XML and apply your own modifications. You might consider
> > using WURFL+patch file or go on with your own database. This is up to
> > you.
> > If you are willing to share the information, please let me know when
> > you'll do it, RSS or anything else is about the same. If you are going
> > to do your own repository I will have to parse and "adapt it" anyway.
>
> I think a WUFL patch would be a the best way to incorporate Japanese
> mobile capabilities into WUFL and am prepared to lend a hand on this
> front but what extra information are developers looking for?
>
> It would be great if we could build a list of these before anyone
> starts work on a patch? DC?

Hello Kyle and all the others,
   I am following your discussion and not comment much simply because
I don't know the i-mode market enough.
It would be nice if you guys could actively contribute and maybe build
a separate patch that you (the ones willing to) maintain. We could
provide it through the WURFL site and link to any resource that you
think are valuable. I would just like to suggest a basic rule that we
always tried to apply:"keep the number of capabilities as low as
possible and leave an open path to extend later".
This is REALLY fundamental simply because in the open-source world
there is often a lot of enthusiasm in the beginning and then fades
away. You/we would find ourselves in a few months with a TON of really
cool capabilities and nobody that maintains them.
Let's try to start with basic information.
I see people talking about gif, png, jpg, those are already in WURFL.

I would suggest to define a set of capabilities you would need, then
verify which ones are already in WURFL and understand which ones we
need to add. Then we can draw the new patch structure.

You have all my support.

--

Andrea Trasatti
atrasatti@gmail.com