(keitai-l) Re: How does Sanyo's GPS work?

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 11/07/05
On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Shannon Jacobs wrote:

> From your description of the process, I'm not clear why they really need the
> satellite part at all. It would seem they could do pretty much the same
> thing by just working from the known locations of the cell towers and a
> comparison of the relative signal strengths of the nearest ones.

Not at all. The signal strengths may not be at all in proportion to
distance; a base station further away might actually give a stronger
signal than one closer to due reflections, multipath, and all sorts of
interesting radio effects.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***           http://www.keitai-dev.net/           ***