(keitai-l) Re: SMS vs mobile email

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 11/30/05
William Volk wrote:
> Gerhard Fasol wrote:
> My understanding, and correct me if I am wrong, is that the revenue for
> services in Japan (mobile browser based) is derived from data charges?
 > Is this correct???

Yes and no. The revenue of mobile operators in Japan is a
mixture of many sources including the sale of mobile phones,
voice, data charges transactions etc.

However, strategically all traffic related charges are
evaporating like snow in the sunshine, and for this reason
operators in Japan invest heavily to develop other non-traffice
related income. You can find this explained in detail in our
mobile payment report:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/store/mobilepayment/
in our company's newsletters and in our blog:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/blog/

> Is there a billing mechanism for mobile email (similar to P-SMS)
 > as well?  I  wasn't aware of one.

Yes it exists, but it's different to P-SMS. There is no P-SMS in
Japan. You'll find this explained in many places including
DoCoMo's websites and our i-mode report:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/store/imode/

Gerhard
Gerhard Fasol, PhD                          Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
http://fasol.com/                       http://www.eurotechnology.com/