(keitai-l) Re: GPS vs Japanese zip codes

From: Tsunoda, Ken <ken_tsunoda2002_at_yahoo.co.jp>
Date: 11/30/05
I was working on the same problem a while ago.

Kokudokotsusho (Ministry of Land Infrastructure
and Transport) puts out location data that several
inexpensize location resolutions systems use.
I wrote a little program to match the zipcode data
from the post office with this data and it ok.
However, the data can be a little old as zipcodes
often merge, separate, and disappear.  In the end,
I would recommend just purchasing your data from some
map company such as Alps ( I think it was about
50manen/cpu, fyi their geocoder is about 130manen/cpu.).

If you just want the data I compiled just for testing,
I would be happy to send it to you offline.

Ken

--- Mike Sheetal <msheetal@cyber-media.co.jp> からのメッ
セージ:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am looking at implementing some nice location
> based system that uses
> GPS, but am also adding support for non-GPS enabled
> phones and
> desktops. The best strategy I have currently is to
> use the zip code and
> reference that to a GPS location. I have the latest
> list of Japanese
> zip codes from the post office (all 210,000 of them)
> but no data that
> points each one to a particular GPS location.
> Has anyone stumbled on a data source ( csv, xml,
> other extractable
> data) that pairs japanese zip codes with a GPS
> location?
> The only other solution I have is to use yahoo to
> scrape GPS locations,
> although with 210,000 to check, I would need top
> write a script to
> handle that operation... better to look elsewhere
> first.
>
> (i also stumbled on a small app that had that info a
> little while ago,
> but it didn't appear to be exportable to a db)
>

> thanks,
> mike
>
> ---------------------------------
> Mike Sheetal - Head of Creative Development
> CyberMedia K.K.
> msheetal@cyber-media.co.jp
> Tel. 03-5423-5333   Fax. 03-5423-5340
>

> This mail was sent to address