(keitai-l) GPS vs Japanese zip codes

From: Mike Sheetal <msheetal_at_cyber-media.co.jp>
Date: 11/29/05
Hi everyone,

I am looking at implementing some nice location based system that uses
GPS, but am also adding support for non-GPS enabled phones and
desktops. The best strategy I have currently is to use the zip code and
reference that to a GPS location. I have the latest list of Japanese
zip codes from the post office (all 210,000 of them) but no data that
points each one to a particular GPS location.
Has anyone stumbled on a data source ( csv, xml, other extractable
data) that pairs japanese zip codes with a GPS location?
The only other solution I have is to use yahoo to scrape GPS locations,
although with 210,000 to check, I would need top write a script to
handle that operation... better to look elsewhere first.

(i also stumbled on a small app that had that info a little while ago,
but it didn't appear to be exportable to a db)

thanks,
mike

Mike Sheetal - Head of Creative Development
CyberMedia K.K.
msheetal@cyber-media.co.jp
Tel. 03-5423-5333   Fax. 03-5423-5340