(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Web Development in Japan: A Tag Soup Tale

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 12/07/05
On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Nick May wrote:

> (Even if your first project is tiny it is worth treating it as HUGE
> with high scalability requirements and writing a complete toolbox.)

Well, I'd disagree completely with this; if you use an agile programming
technique, you'll get your site out a lot faster, and overall spend a
lot less programming effort, by doing the minimal thing and building on
it, and in the end a toolbox will drop out anyway.

This attitude, of course, inspires my site design techniques, which are
oriented toward maximizing cost-benefit ratio, as opposed to actually
making a "better" site.

Thus things like:

     1. Use XHTML (all right, "XHTML-like markup"!) exclusively; it costs
     too much to add too few phones to do otherwise.

     2. Use SJIS exclusively, because it works on all phones, and thus
     saves you writing and testing a translation layer and determining
     which encoding to use on which devices.

     3. etc.

> He thinks you can have one output file and magic it up for different
> capability viewers using CSS. But keitai sites have different
> navilogic to mobile sites, which have different logic to webtop sites.
> As I see it a keitai site and a mobile site are quite different
> things.

Indeed!

> Incidentally - since it was mentioned - tabemo.com may be xhtml like,
> but it doesn't actually seem to validate as such... ( yes yes -
> scratch! hiss! spit! meow! ). The validator thinks it is SGML....

Actually, you're right, when I say I'm writing XHTML, it's actually a
sort-of-more-or-less-XHTML. There are a few issues:

     1. If I recall correctly, I can't even include a proper XML document
     whatchicallit at the top (the "<?...>" thingie that includes a
     character encoding definition) because DoCoMo browsers choke on it.

     2. Stuff like <font color="red"> is certainly not mobile XHTML but
     instead some sort of HTML, but is the only thing I know of that
     works across all three carriers to make text red.

     3. I have to add various carrier-specific stuff such as
     accesskey="1" attributes, and since they don't hurt browsers that
     don't understand, I don't bother to get rid of them for those
     browsers.

     4. I've got marketing people insisting on doing their own markup,
     and who use not only <center> instead of <div align="center">, but
     even make outright errors (!) in the markup.

So, yeah, when I say "use XHTML" I mean "use something that resembles
XHTML and lets you issue the same page across all carriers and phones."
Which statement makes perfect sense in the context of "XHTML vs. cHTML
vs. MML vs. WML."

> How do you handle telephone links (click link to phone)  in xhtml? Or
> does one just use docomo encoding and let the au/jphone gateway do
> conversions?

We just use the DoCoMo encoding. I didn't personally test that bit, but
I presume that the folks who wrote that markup did test it. If it's not
working, I'm always glad to hear about it.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***           http://www.keitai-dev.net/           ***