(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Web Development in Japan: A Tag Soup Tale

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 12/07/05
On 7 Dec 2005, at 12:05, Mike Sheetal wrote:
> as for the functions, they would be rewriting tags based on handset
> capabilities. only becomes efficient in large scale projects, but i am
> thinking about it now before jumping in. The goal is to display the
> best page possible to each handset, not just to show a page that
> can be
> seen.

Large scale?

You only have to develop libraries for this once though - and then
they can be used for any project  - large or small.(Even if your
first project is tiny it is worth treating it as HUGE with high
scalability requirements and writing a complete toolbox.)  If you are
worried about the whole site being dynamic, just add a generic
caching layer.

Then you have a set of functions that you call as part of the output
layer that do all the grunt work on a per handset basis.

As for sjis/unicode thing - again - this is just a flag in your
output function that can be set per handset if required. Nothing to
bother about in the sense of it affecting design decisions at the
outset.

All this worry about xhtml/css/sjis/unicode seems a bit over the top.

What defines a site is its navi-logic - and that is the problem with
the view put forward at
  http://web-graphics.com/mtarchive/001690.php

He thinks you can have one output file and magic it up for different
capability viewers using CSS. But keitai sites have different
navilogic to mobile sites, which have different logic to webtop
sites. As I see it a keitai site and a mobile site are quite
different things.

Incidentally - since it was mentioned -   tabemo.com may be xhtml
like, but it doesn't actually seem to validate as such... ( yes yes -
scratch! hiss! spit! meow! ). The validator thinks it is SGML.... Of
course, people with sites on the net with code as rancid as some of
my older ones really should not throw stones at people with
comparatively clean code, but since the issue is how xhtml like one
can be, I thought I would mention it...

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Ftabemo.com%
2Foffer_browse.php%3Fshop_genre_id%3D11

How do you handle telephone links (click link to phone)  in xhtml? Or
does one just use docomo encoding and let the au/jphone gateway do
conversions?

Nick