(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Web Development in Japan: A Tag Soup Tale

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 12/07/05
On 7 Dec 2005, at 14:06, Curt Sampson wrote:

> Well, I'd disagree completely with this; if you use an agile
> programming
> technique, you'll get your site out a lot faster, and overall spend a
> lot less programming effort, by doing the minimal thing and
> building on
> it, and in the end a toolbox will drop out anyway.

Well - this is a difference in philosophy that isn't really keitai
related, so I won't go into it too far... But I do think the huge
savings in time on the second ~ nth site make the slight additional
time taken on the first site - which is probably something you hack
up for fun in your own time anyway - worth it.

Actually if you are doing bilingual sites as a matter of course,
keeping things fairly abstract is implied anyway, as the core logic
is probably going to be the same for both sites, with language packs,
language specific functions (dates, encodings, etc)  and static
datapacks pulled in at run time depending on the language being used.

Nick