(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Web Development in Japan: A Tag Soup Tale

From: Kyle Barrow <kyle_at_pukupi.com>
Date: 12/07/05
On Dec 7, 2005, at 15:55, Nick May wrote:

> For example, look at a site like the Grauniad: (page at random)
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1660570,00.html
>
> It is a desktop page. A HUGE number of links down the left side.
> Useful when I browse on a desktop, but a pain using opera on my
> handset.

I couldn't agree more and an excellent example of content in context

> Now take a site like tabemo.com. Basic keitai style layout (clever
> code to work across 3 carriers - my point is it isn't taxing the
> keitai layout engine to render). But a logical extension to it might
> be ajax delivered mapping of restaurants using the  google maps api -
> with additional map marking in English of nearest stations, etc.
>
>   Very, very do-able under opera - but not under most "keitai" "slap
> text on page" browsers.
>
> So - I think  a third style of site will emerge - it will target
> "full browsers on handsets" Nokia/Apple webkit based, opera,
> whatever. It will be distinct because the navi-logic will be
> different to the other two styles of site. Rather fewer links than a
> standard desktop site, probably rather ajax heavy.

The CSS media tag allows you do this without the need for the third
site branch. You can see this in action if you point Opera over to
http://pukupi.com and switch between small-screen and full screen modes.

Kyle

--

mobile web gear | pukupi.com | 34°40'n 135°30'e